In December 1914 the Lighthouse was hit by shells from German warships which attacked the east coast of England. The building attached to the lighthouse was the Harbour Masters lodgings prior to becoming the home of the Yacht Club. With people being killed in the raid and damage to towns along the coast a Remember Scarborough campain was used to encourage people to enlist.
In September 2014 the building was painted as planned civic remembrance ceremonies are taking place in the town, in December. Also in the summer of this year the Yacht Club completely refurbished the Race Station at the front of the building.